Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

So I am a Little Crazy

 So what would a normal person do when their wall looks like this:


Normal people actions:
  • Call a pro 
  •   Develop a plan
  • Think about how quickly you would need to finish the project
 My actions:


Which eventually led to this...


Now I have to form a game plan of how to proceed from here.  My first inclination is the do-it-yourself fix of throwing up a couple coats of oil based primer, skim coating the walls, more oil based primer, and finally a couple coats of paint.  There are a couple problems with this plan that could be overcome...first, it seems to be a heated debate whether any primer even oil based is okay with wallpaper paste residue.  Next there is the problem of the different thickness of wall.  I have also never skim coated myself, but hey that is why I have a can do attitude.

The completely different option is to try and find someone to throw up 3/4" sheet rock.  I have never sheet rocked, but that wouldn't normally stop me, but I do have an arch on the wall that I would have to deal with.  I have covered the plaster walls with sheet rock in the past and it has worked pretty well.

The final option that is much messier and that I am going to try and avoid is to tear out all the lathe and plaster and traditionally sheet rock that wall. 

This wall is really an experiment because I have 2 more walls in the living room and all 4 in the dinning room that I am pretty sure have wall paper underneath the paint.  None of them bother me as much as this one did, but I am sure I will want to address them eventually.

I will keep you updated as things change (who knows how long that will take) and wish me luck.


Bonus picture!  Here is the original wall paper pattern.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that looks like something my husband would do! lol Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is the wall coming? We need an update!!!

    ReplyDelete