Pages

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Christmas Craft Tutorial a Little Late

This post is very late, but I have been a bit busy over the last couple weeks and away from my computer.  This was a Christmas craft inspired by the ladies of the Real Housewives on Bucks County.  When I saw their appearance on the Nate Berkus Show I knew I found my Christmas craft.  Here is their tutorial: http://realhousewivesofbc.blogspot.com/2011/12/nates-12-days-of-holiday-diys-day-3.html

I tallied that I wanted to make 18 of the reindeer for various family, friends and neighbors. I had some of the materials already, but would need to gather additional quantities and spray paint. I recently recovered my kitchen cabinets so I had lots of extra contact paper so I decided to use that instead one sheet of paper and spray adhesive.  I also had a 7 pack of canvas from Michael's that I had previously purchased with a 50% off coupon.  I just had to buy 2 more 7 packs of canvas and 4 cans of spray paint.

Like the Real Housewives I chose this picture from Google images.

http://www.nordichouse.co.uk/reindeer-silhouette-cushion-grey-p-635.html

I skipped a lot of pictures in the process (I'm new at this).  Here is where I had already applied the reindeer to the canvases.


It's little hard to see with the white on white. And please excuse the unsightly workbench in my garage.
I had a whole stack of these to do.

I ended up using 4 cans of Rust-oleum Ultra Cover 2x in hunter green and wine (2 each).


I set up a spray area in the garage with a piece of cardboard and plastic sheeting that was leftover from the wall project.



I did approximately 3 light coats.  I was in a rush so some coasts were thicker than others.


I was throwing a party that evening and realized that painting two at a time was not going to be enough.


This is a more accurate picture of how things looked.

And here is the final product.


Not perfect, but I like to think that is how you know it is homemade.

2 comments:

  1. These look really nice! What a great gift and someone you can put out every year. I also like that they are subtley holidayish. Not too over-the-top.

    ReplyDelete