Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

There are holes in my roof dear Liza, dear Liza

So it was finally time to bite the bullet and face the horrible roof on the garage. The garage roof was on it's last legs about 3 years ago when I bought the house. It was only a matter of time before it had to be replaced and the time had come.  Winter rain had made the garage feel moist and humid all the time and I a, sure it probably smelled like a wet dog too.  (Interesting tidbit about me is that I have no sense of smell, so what it smelled like was a guess).  I also started to see puddles on the floor and when I looked up at the ceiling I could see blue.  The time had come.

My super generous family offered to assist and my parents offered to foot the bill as my Birthday present.  This was an amazing offer that I could not turn down.

Here is a before:

Uncle Tony and Josh digging in.
Here is a closer shot to show its rough shape.

Josh was an animal, I think he tore off half the roof himself.
I am very lucky to have the help of many friends and family members for the initial tear off stage especially after a put myself out of commission for a portion of the day by starting a fight with the metal beam on the dumpster below.  The incident occurred when I was wheeling in the first load, wearing a big floppy hat and trying to get momentum going up the ramp.

Notice the evil metal beam at the top of the door.  Feel free to give it the evil eye.
It was a fight I had no chance of winning.  I was lucky to not break my nose or knock out teeth.  I did not think about taking pictures at the time and I think you all should thank me.

I was left playing hostess and going on home depot runs.

Refreshment Station.

Me returning from a lumber run.
Shovel/scrapping occurred for most of the morning, while I played hostess and went on home depot runs.

Ledo and Uncle Tony handling the roof.
Lots of work was done by lots of people.





My dad the wheel barrow master.
 By lunch the roof was looking more like this.


One of the main reasons the roof need to be replaced, was it's age and the fact that it was actually 3 layers of shingles (maximum in my county).  The roof also was no based on plywood like most roofs.  This left everyone balancing on 1 X 4s.

There was some talk about retaining the open air feel and leaving it as a pergola, but I was not so keen on the concept.


So after day one, there was so much progress.  The roof was completely demoed.





And the dumpster was full.

Notice the towels designed to be warning flags my Mom put up.



I cannot thank everyone who worked on it enough.  Thank you Dad, Uncle Tony, Josh, Ledo, Keith, Mom, Dorothy and McKenna (for being cute)!




Thank you all!

4 comments:

  1. Ugh! Roofs are such a big job, but so worth the work! It's wonderful to ahve such great family and friends that can help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry about what happened to your roof, Emily. You should always check your roof at least three times a month to make sure there are no holes on your roof. Anyway, what type of roof do you plan to install? I suggest you choose either of these two: Cedar or Metal.

    Neil Hirsh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, either of the two types of roof that was mentioned by Neil would do. Cedar is a versatile and beautiful choice for a roof. On the other hand, metal is highly resistant against fire and wind. What's more interesting about it is that it rarely needs maintenance. Anyway, it all depends on you, Emily.

    Brendan Gertner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for the lack of timely update. I went with 20 year asphalt singles. The house has 30 year shingles and the roof was replaced about 10 years ago. I should post some after pics.

    ReplyDelete